CRISPR Symposium with Dr Feng Zhang
Sequencing the human genome was only the beginning. Today, researchers are racing to create methods to understand how our genes affect our health and unlock the genetic mysteries that can help prevent and treat disease. CRISPR, a bacterial immune system, has been repurposed and engineered to provide the tools to precisely edit genomes with unparalleled simplicity and flexibility, resulting in a research revolution. This breakthrough gene editing technology was first demonstrated in Science, on January 3, 2013 and since then it has already become a foundational tool for cancer, infectious disease and mental health research and is inspiring a multitude of promising biotech start-ups. Please join us for an informative and inspiring discussion from co-authors Dr. Le Cong and Dr. Feng Zhang as well as experienced entrepreneurs.
In this symposium, learn about:
- The history of the CRISPR system;
- First applications of the CRISPR system for gene editing and in human cells;
- Recent advances in CRISPR research;
- Possible therapeutic and other uses of CRISPR; and
- How local and international research and business communities are participating in the biggest biotech innovation of the decade – with the goal of moving technology from the lab to the clinic to positively impact lives and the global economy.
The scientific presentation is targeted at a general audience.
- 2.30pm - Registration Opens / Tea Reception
- 3.00pm - Presentation & Panel Discussion
- 4.30pm - Networking
- 5.00pm - End
About the speakers and panelists:
Dr. Feng Zhang, Professor of Biologic Engineering and of Brain & Cognitive Sciences, Massachusetts Institute of Technology; Investigator at the McGovern Institute for Brain Science at MIT; and Core Institute Member of the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard. First to demonstrate gene editing and mammalian use of CRISPR
Dr. Le Cong, Tsinghua ’09, Summa Cum Laude, Grand Scholarship with Highest Honors; Ph.D. Harvard ’14; Founding member of Zhang lab; co-author of Cong et al., most-cited CRISPR publication; and post-doctoral Investigator, Broad Institute
2:30 PM - 5:00 PM SGT
MIT / Harvard Alumni SOLD OUT $35.00 Standard SOLD OUT $45.00
- Venue Address
- Suntec City Tower 5 Singapore
Nearest MRT: Promenade / Esplanade
MITCS Events160 Followers